NORTHERN LIGHTS FITNESS PRODUCTS INC
ACCOMMODATION POLICY AND PROCEDURES
Northern Lights Fitness Products Inc is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are treated with respect and dignity.
Northern Lights Fitness Products will act in a manner consistent with its obligations under the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Commission.
Northern Lights Fitness Products will provide a workplace that ensures equal opportunity free from discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability or pardoned conviction.
Northern Lights Fitness Products will provide reasonable workplace accommodation, short of undue hardship. The purpose of accommodation is to ensure that individuals who are otherwise able to work are not unfairly excluded from doing so when working conditions can be adjusted without causing undue hardship to the employer.
This policy applies to all current employees of Northern Lights Fitness Product, including full and part-time, casual contract, permanent, and temporary employees. This policy also applies to employees on approved leave, including short and long term disability leave and job applicants.
This policy applies to all aspects of employment including but not limited to recruitment, selection, training, promotion, transfers, work arrangements, compensation and benefits, and termination of employment.
Accommodation means taking steps to eliminate the different and negative treatment of individuals or groups, protected under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
Undue hardship occurs when accommodation adjustments to the workplace would cost too much, or create risks to health or safety. There is no precise legal definition of undue hardship or a standard formula for determining undue hardship or a standard formula for determining undue hardship. Each situation will be viewed as unique and assessed individually.
RESPONSIBILITIES and EXPECTATIONS:
Accommodation is a shared responsibility between employees, supervisors and Northern Lights Fitness Products, as the employer. Northern Lights Fitness Products is responsible for:
- Eliminating barriers that prevent people from accessing, or being included in the workplace.
- Minimizing the need for individual accommodation by regularly reviewing rules, policies, by-laws and practices to ensure that they are not discriminatory.
- Ensuring that all employees and job applicants are advised of their right to be accommodated.
- Dealing with requests for accommodation in a timely, confidential and sensitive manner.
- Providing individual accommodation to the point of undue hardship and ensuring that this policy is effectively implemented.
Supervisors are Responsible for:
- Fostering an inclusive work environment by treating all employees and job applicants with respect and dignity
- Identifying and eliminating barriers that prevent people from accessing, or being included in, the workplace
- Dealing with requests for accommodation in a timely, confidential and sensitive manner
- Involving individuals requiring accommodation in the search for accommodation
- Informing individuals requiring accommodation what information they need to provide to be accommodated and: initiating a discussion about accommodation when they are aware that an employee or job applicant may have a need for accommodationbut is unable, for any reason, to articulate that need.
Employees and Job Applicants are Responsible for:
- Making their accommodation needs known, to the extent that they are able
- Helping to identify potential accommodation options
- Providing documentation in support of their request for accommodation
- Including information about any restrictions or limitations
- Accepting an offer of accommodation that meets their needs, even if it is not their preferred accommodation option
Employees can expect:
- To be treated with dignity and respect
- To have their needs accommodated up to the point of undue hardship
- To be informed of the reasons, if their accommodations request is denied
PROCEDURES FOR ACCOMMODATION
When contacted for an interview, job applicants will be advised that Northern Lights Fitness has an accommodation policy and asked whether he or she requires accommodation to participate in the hiring and selection process.
The Director of Operations will evaluate the job applicant’s request for accommodation and may request more information from the applicant to facilitate the accommodation.
If a request for accommodation is denied, the reasons why will be clearly communicated to the job applicant.
An employee may request accommodation by notifying his or her supervisor.
The supervisor will document the request, including the employee’s name, position and date of request, any details provided by the employee and any accommodation options suggested by the employee.
The supervisor may request additional supporting documentation from the employee in order to identify accommodation options (e.g. details of restrictions or limitations)
The supervisor along with the Production Manager will consider accommodation options including, but not limited to: workstation adjustments: reassignment of job tasks; changes to scheduling or hours of work; leaves of absence; and temporary or permanent reassignment.
The supervisor along with the Production Manager will discuss available accommodation options with the employee. The accommodation preferences of the employee will be taken into account. However, the supervisor and production manager may proceed with an option that is less costly or easier to provide, when it meets the employee’s accommodation needs. The supervisor and production manager will clearly communicate the reasons for his or her decision to the employee.
The supervisor will review the accommodation measures with the employee on a regular basis to confirm they continue to be necessary and effective.
If the available accommodation options raise the likelihood of causing undue hardship, the production manager will refer the matter to the Director of Operations for decision. The Director of Operations will ensure that all accommodation options short of undue hardship have been considered prior to refusing accommodation. If a request for accommodation is denied, The Director of Operations will clearly communicate the reasons why to the employee.
If an employee or applicant has been denied accommodation, is not satisfied with the accommodation offered, or believes that his or her request has not been handled in accordance with this policy, he or she may request a second opinion from the General Manager.
An employee or applicant may also file a discrimination complaint with the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
Privacy and Confidentiality
All records associated with accommodation request will be maintained in a secure location, separate from employees’ personnel files and will only be shared with persons who need this information.
Northern Lights Fitness Products and all individuals involved in the accommodation process will comply with the requirements of the Ontario Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act to protect personal information.
The General Manager and the Director of Operations will review this policy and related procedures on an annual basis, or as required, and will make adjustments as necessary to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of all employees.
Enquiry’s about this policy and related procedures can be made to the Director of Operations and or the General Manager
Date: January 5, 2017